Job Description – School Business Manager
Leads & Manages: Media, Admissions, Communications, School Office, Finance Administration, Site Management and Caretaker/cleaners
Title: School Business Manager (SBM)
Work Location: School Based
Reports To: Principal
- The School Business Manager is the school & SFO’s leading support staff professional and works as part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) to assist the Principal in his/her duty to ensure that the school meets its educational aims.
- The School Business Manager is responsible for providing professional leadership and management of school & SFO support staff in partnership with teaching staff, to enhance their effectiveness in order to achieve improved standards of learning and achievement in the school.
- The School Business Manager promotes the highest standards of business ethos within the administrative function of the school & SFO and strategically ensures the most effective use of resources in support of the school’s learning objectives.
- The School Business Manager is responsible for the:
- Financial Resource Management/Administration/Compliance/Reporting
- Media & Communication Management/Administration/Compliance/Reporting
- Human Resource Management/Administration/Compliance/Reporting
- Facility & Property Management/Administration/Compliance/Reporting
- Health & Safety Management/Administration/Compliance/Reporting
- School Roll Admissions Management/Administration/Compliance/Reporting
- Act as Secretary to the Board
General Duties Leadership & Strategy
- Attend Senior Management Team & Board and sub-committee meetings
- Negotiate and influence strategic decision making within the school’s Senior Management Team
- In the absence of the Head Teacher, take delegated responsibility for Financial and other decisions
- Plan and manage change in accordance with the school strategic plan.
- To lead and manage all non-teaching staff
- Manage the whole school administrative function and lead all support staff.
- Design and maintain administrative systems that deliver outcomes based on the school’s aims and goals
- Manage systems and link processes that interact across the school to form complete systems
- Define responsibilities, information and support for staff and other stakeholders
- Develop process measures that are affordable and that will enable value for money decisions for those managing resources
- Establish and use effective methods to review and improve administrative systems
- Use data analysis, evaluation and reporting systems to maximum effect by ensuring systems are streamlined to maximise efficiency and avoid duplication
- Evaluate information, report and consult with the Senior Management Team and Board to prepare a realistic and balanced budget for school activity
- Submit the proposed budget to the Principal and the Board for approval and assist the overall financial planning and reporting process
- Discuss, negotiate and agree the final budget
- Use the agreed budget to actively monitor and control performance to achieve value for money
- Identify and inform the Principal and Board of the causes of significant variance and take prompt corrective action
- Propose revisions to the budget if necessary, in response to significant or unforeseen developments
- Provide ongoing budgetary information to relevant people
- Advise the Principal and Board if fraudulent activities are suspected or uncovered
- Maintain a strategic financial plan that will indicate the trends and requirements of the school development plan and will forecast future year budgets
- Identify additional finance required to fund the school’s proposed activities
- Seek and make use of specialist financial expertise
- Maximise income through lettings and other activities, including additional income revenue and funding sources
- Present timely and fully costed proposals, recommendations or bids ensuring safe and transparent accountability.Expenditures over 50000kr will have a minimum of three alternative bids that will be kept on record indefinitely.
- Put formal finance agreements in place with suitable providers for agreed amounts, at agreed times and appropriate agreed costs and repayment schedules
- Monitor the effectiveness and implementation of agreements
Media & Communication
- Set up, monitor and maintain effective social media presence across multiple platforms
- Set up, monitor and maintain effective emergency communication systems
- Prepare press releases and maintain an awareness of marketing potential
- Ensure the school’s equality policy is clearly communicated to all staff in school
- Apply Child Protection procedures within the context of recruitment.
- Ensure that all recruitment, grievance, disciplinary and redundancy policies and procedures comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- Support the leadership team in the recruitment, performance management, appraisal and development for all non-teaching staff.
- Monitor the relevant legal, regulatory, ethical and social requirements and the effect they have on your school and staff
- Ensure people have a clear understanding of the policies and procedures and the importance of putting them into practice
- Monitor the way policies and procedures are actioned and provide support where necessary.
- Seek and make use of specialist expertise in relation to HR issues
- Evaluate the school’s strategic objectives and obtain information for workforce planning
- Identify the types of skills, knowledge, understanding and experience required to undertake existing and future planned activities
Facility & Property
- Ensure the supervision of relevant planning and construction processes is undertaken in line with contractual obligations
- Ensure the safe maintenance and security operation of all school premises
- Manage the maintenance of the school site including the purchase and repair of all furniture and fittings
- Ensure the continuing availability of utilities, site services and equipment
- Follow sound practices in estate management and grounds maintenance
- Monitor, assess and review contractual obligations for outsourced school services
- Ensure a safe environment for the stakeholders of the school to provide a secure environment in which due learning processes can be provided
- Ensure ancillary services e.g. snow clearance, cleaning, etc., are monitored and managed effectively
- Manage the letting of school premises to external organisations, for the development of the extended services and local community requirements.
- Seek professional advice on insurance and advise the SMT on appropriate insurances for the school and implement and manage such schemes accordingly.
Health & Safety
- Act as the school’s Health & Safety Coordinator and Fire Officer.
- Plan, instigate and maintain records of fire practices and alarm tests.
- Ensure the school’s written health & safety policy statement is clearly communicated and available to all people
- Ensure the health & safety policy is implemented at all times, put into practice and is subject to review and assessment at regular intervals or as situations change
- Enable regular consultation with people on health and safety issues
- Ensure systems are in place to enable the identification of hazards and risk assessments
- Ensure systems are in place for effective monitoring, measuring and reporting of health and safety issues to the Senior Management Team, Board and where appropriate the Arbeidstilsynet
- Ensure the maximum level of security consistent with the ethos of the school
School Roll Admissions
- Apply admission policy to student applicants
- Notify SMT of newly accepted students
- Notify IT and finance team of newly accepted students
- Advice parents about the programs offered, admission procedure, eligibility and costs involved.
- Provide assistance in completing the enrolment forms.
- Arrange orientation and induction programs as defined by the SMT
- Develop innovative communication strategies, recruitment strategies and enrolment plans in coordination with senior management to attract and enrol more students.
- Maintain a database of student information
Secretary to the Board
- Record and distribute minutes from meetings
- Maintain records and documentation for the board including bylaws, standard operating procedures
- Provide safekeeping of all official contracts and records in a secure location
- Published notices of scheduled meetings are required in the bylaws
- Prepare reports for external agencies
- Track board member terms and facilitate election process
- Ensure that key contact information for the organization’s leadership team is current